In order to qualify for a LACERS medical plan premium subsidy and be eligible for coverage in a LACERS-sponsored medical benefit plan, retired members, eligible surviving spouses/domestic partners and dependents must, upon turning age 65 or becoming eligible due to a disability:
- Enroll and continue to be enrolled in Medicare Part B
- Pay the monthly Medicare Part B premium (and any applicable IRMAAs and penalties) while receiving LACERS-sponsored medical benefit
- Enroll in Medicare Part A (only if it is at no cost to you)
- Submit your Medicare card to LACERS as proof of enrollment
- Submit your Medical Senior Plan Enrollment Form you received in the (packet name)
We recommend that you apply online at ssa.gov or contact the Social Security Administration 90 days prior to your 65th birthday to enroll in Medicare. The 2021 basic Medicare Part B monthly premium cost is $148.50.
Medicare Part B Basic Premium Reimbursement
LACERS will reimburse the retired member for the basic Medicare Part B premium if the retired member is:
- Enrolled in both Medicare Parts A and B; AND
- Enrolled in a LACERS Senior Plan or Participates in the LACERS Medical Premium Reimbursement Program (MPRP); AND
- Receives a medical premium subsidy.
LACERS does not reimburse:
- Your Survivor or dependents for their Medicare Part B premium;
- Higher Medicare Part B premiums due to an Income Related Monthly Adjustment Amount (IRMAA);
- Members enrolled in the Anthem Blue Cross PPO Out-of-Country plan; or
- Late enrollment penalties.
LACERS Senior Medical Plans Offered
The medical plan choices available to you and your dependents are based on where you live, and your and/or your dependents’ age and Medicare status. LACERS offers the following Medicare options:
If you are age 65 or older with Medicare Part B only:
- Anthem Blue Cross HMO (CA only)
- Anthem Blue Cross PPO
- Kaiser Permanente Senior Advantage HMO (CA only)1
If you are age 65 or older with Medicare Parts A and B:
- Anthem Blue Cross Life & Health Medicare Plan (Medicare Supplement Plan)
- Kaiser Permanente Senior Advantage HMO (CA Only)
- SCAN Health Plan (CA)
- UnitedHealthcare Medicare Advantage HMO (CA, AZ, & NV)
If you are a Dual Care household where at least one subscriber is age 65 or older with Medicare Parts A and B and one subscriber under age 65, or age 65 or older with Medicare Part B only:
- Anthem Blue Cross PPO + Anthem Blue Cross Life and Health Medicare Plan (Medicare Supplement Plan)
- Kaiser Permanente HMO + Kaiser Permanente Senior Advantage HMO (CA only)1 Anthem Blue Cross HMO + SCAN Health Plan (CA only)
- Anthem Blue Cross HMO + UnitedHealthcare Medicare Advantage HMO (CA only)
Please contact the medical plan to verify coverage as certain zip codes, cities and counties may be excluded from coverage.
Enrolling in a Medicare Advantage Plan Outside of LACERS
You are only allowed to have one Medicare Advantage plan. If you enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan outside of your LACERS medical plan, you may lose your LACERS medical coverage.
Medicare Part D – “Do Not Enroll”
Members enrolled in a LACERS Senior Medical Plan are automatically enrolled in Medicare Part D and their medical plan premiums already include the cost of their Medicare Part D basic premiums. Do not enroll in Medicare Part D separate from your LACERS plan or you may lose your LACERS medical coverage.
Note: Payment of your Medicare Part D Income Related Monthly Adjustment Amounts (IRMAA) does not enroll you in a non-LACERS Part D plan. It is a surcharge imposed by Medicare in addition to your LACERS medical coverage.
Termination of Your LACERS Medical Plan
If you default on your Medicare premiums and are terminated from your LACERS medical plan, you and your dependents may be assessed penalties when re-enrolling in Medicare are will be subject to the full premium cost of you LACERS medical plan.
For more information: