Your subsidy eligibility is based on your age and your whole years of Service. To be eligible for a subsidy, you must:
- Be at least age 55;
- Have a minimum of 10 whole years of Service;
- Enroll in a LACERS-sponsored medical plan or be a participant in the Medical Plan Reimbursement Program (MPRP)
Full-time employees receive 4% of the maximum medical subsidy for each year of Service Credit.
Part-time employees who have a minimum of 10 years of Service are eligible to receive 40% of the maximum medical subsidy and can receive an additional 4% for each year of Service Credit above ten years. The LACERS Board determines the maximum monthly subsidy amount annually.
You may enroll eligible dependent(s) in a LACERS health plan. However, dependents do not receive a separate medical plan premium subsidy.
An eligible dependent may be a:
- Domestic Partner (your partnership must be registered with LACERS or your state)
- Dependent child who is under age 26, except in circumstances where the adult child is eligible to enroll in an employee-sponsored plan or unable to engage in gainful employment because of a mental or physical disability (disability must have occurred before age 26). A “dependent child” includes:
- A child born to you
- A child legally adopted by you
- A step-child living with you in a parent-child relationship
- A child of whom you have legal custody or guardianship and provide principal financial support
- Your spouse or domestic partner’s child
- Grandchild under age 26, if you are or your spouse/domestic partner is the legal guardian(s) or have legal custody of the grandchild; or if the grandchild is the child of a dependent child as defined above.
In order to qualify for a LACERS medical plan premium subsidy and be eligible for coverage in a LACERS-sponsored medical benefit plan, retired members, eligible surviving spouses/domestic partners and dependents are required, upon turning age 65, to enroll in Medicare Part B. Medicare Part A is only required if it is at no cost to the member.
If you are enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B, your maximum monthly subsidy amount will be based on your years of Service Credit and the one-party premium of the LACERS Senior Plan in which you are enrolled
SUBSIDY TABLE - Under 65 OR age 65 or Older and Required to Enroll in Medicare Part B Only
% Maximum Subsidy
SUBSIDY TABLE - 65 or Older and Required to Enroll in Medicare Part A and B
|Service Credit||% of Maximum Subsidy|
|1-14||75% of one-party Monthly Premium|
|15-19||90% of one-party Monthly Premium|
|20+||100% of one-party Monthly Premium|