The world around us is constantly changing and at times can be very unpredictable; it’s therefore more important than ever to make sure that you take the necessary measures to keep yourself safe as you begin to venture out into your communities and beyond. Use the following tips to increase your personal security while away from your home:
- Be aware of surroundings and limit your distractions in unfamiliar territory (e.g., listening to music, checking your phone, reading, etc.)
- Walk in groups or with a companion while conducting errands, whenever possible.
- Stay in well lit, populated pathways. Avoid shortcuts that take you away from major streets or landmarks.
- Share your location with trusted friends and family, and ask them to check in especially if you plan on being outside of your house for an extended period of time.
- Don’t carry credit cards you don’t need or large amounts of cash.
- Speak out in a loud and firm voice if you feel as if you are being followed or threatened.
- If someone or something makes you uneasy, trust your instincts and leave.
For more information on how you can maintain your personal safety, click here.