2024 LACERS OPEN ENROLLMENT – REMINDERS AND UPDATES
- Health plan changes made during the 2024 Open Enrollment period are effective from January 1 through December 31, 2024, unless you experience a qualifying event and change plans by the associated deadlines. New deductions that reflect your health plan changes will appear on your December 31, 2023, retirement check.
- If you changed plans during Open Enrollment, you will receive a new health plan I.D. card in mid-January, with the exception of Delta Dental PPO which does not mail out physical I.D. cards. Members enrolled in Delta Dental PPO can create an online account at DeltaDentalins.com to view and print I.D. cards. Please contact Delta Dental at (800) 765-6003 if you need assistance creating an account.
- An Annual Notice of Change (ANOC) from our Senior Medicare plans is required by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). These notices are mailed based on the plan’s enrollment/membership roster as of November 2023. Please be aware that Members who changed or disenrolled plans or deleted dependents during Open Enrollment will still receive the notice from the “old” plan based on the membership roster and this does not reflect their new coverage effective January 1, 2024. Open Enrollment changes and disenrollments are not processed until December 2023 for coverage effective January 1, 2024.
MEDICARE PART B PREMIUM INCREASE FOR 2024
For 2024, the basic monthly Medicare Part B premium amount will be $174.70 per month, an increase from $164.90 in 2023. This amount does not include Income-Related Monthly Adjustment Amounts (IRMAAs) or late enrollment penalties.
For Retired Members who are enrolled in Medicare Parts A&B, have at least 10 years of Service/Service Credit, and are enrolled in a LACERS Senior Plan, the Medicare Part B reimbursement for 2024 will be the basic monthly Medicare Part B premium amount as described above. If your Medicare Part B premium is less than $174.70, you are required to submit proof of your Part B premium. If your Part B premium is greater than $174.70, you are not required to submit proof. All other individuals are currently not eligible to receive reimbursement.
2023 1099-R FORMS TO BE MAILED BY THE END OF JANUARY
LACERS will complete the mailing of 1099-R tax forms to retirees and beneficiaries by the end of January 2024. The 1099-Rs will be sent to the address on file with LACERS. If you have changed your address or plan to, please submit a Change of Address form. In the event you do not receive your 1099-R, the earliest that you may request a duplicate to be mailed to you is the second week of February. You may also view your 1099-R via your MyLACERS account beginning in February.
2023 TAX FORM 1095-B AND FORM 1095-C
As you prepare for tax season, you may receive one or more forms providing information about the health care coverage that you had or were offered in 2023. Beginning in mid to late January 2024, most retirees will receive a Form 1095-B, which is sent directly from either the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) or your health plan carrier through LACERS (i.e., Kaiser or Anthem Blue Cross). Some retirees may receive two Form 1095-Bs and a Form 1095-C (from the City) if they retired within the last year; one 1095-B will reflect the LACERS coverage and the other one along with the 1095-C will reflect the coverage provided by the City of Los Angeles while working.
Please do not contact LACERS if you do not receive your form(s). LACERS does not administer the 1095-B or 1095-C forms. You may request a duplicate directly from your health insurance carrier. For questions about using Forms 1095-B and 1095-C to file your taxes, please consult with your tax adviser or the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
JOIN US FOR JANUARY 2024 LACERS WELLNESS WEBINARS
• Aging Well Discussion Webinar – Aging Solo Wednesday, January 3, at 2:30 p.m.
• Kaiser Webinar – Managing Your Weight Tuesday, January 9, at 10:00 a.m.
• Mom’s Computer Technology Webinar: Wednesday, January 10, at 2:00 p.m.
• Fitness Made Simple Webinar: Wednesday, January 17, at 9:30 a.m.
• Anthem Benefit Webinar: Wednesday, January 24, at 10:00 a.m.
• Brain Health Webinar: Wednesday, January 24, at 2:00 p.m.
Have you Missed past LACERS Well events? We have event and seminar recordings on various topics – finances, emotional wellness, fitness, and more! Visit the LACERS YouTube channel at youtube.com/lacersyoutube, and be sure to hit the subscribe button to receive alerts of newly posted videos.
As a covered entity under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and, upon request, will provide reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities.