Introducing the New Online Retirement Application Portal
Soon, you will be able to apply and complete the entire retirement process online, from the comfort of your own home, using a safe and secure portal. Below are a few details you should know so that you will be prepared to use the portal once it is launched!
Preparation is Key, Don’t Wait!
We suggest you begin preparing as early as practical but at a minimum, four (4) to six (6) months in advance of your retirement. However, if you are experiencing unusual circumstances such as a disability, a terminal illness, and/or an administrative proceeding, please contact us immediately.
Your LACERS retirement process includes gathering and providing required documents and making benefit selections. To fully prepare yourself for the retirement process, complete the following steps prior to applying for retirement:
Are You Ready?
- Confirm that you are eligible to retire. Eligibility information can be found here.
- Log into your MyLACERS account and create an estimate to see what your monthly retirement benefit will be. If you do not have a MyLACERS account, please visit mylacers.lacers.org to request a PIN letter be mailed to you to create your account.
- Consult your tax professional or attorney regarding the taxability of your retirement allowance from the Internal Revenue Service and/or State of California Franchise Tax Board.
- Attend a Planning for Retirement Seminar. The schedule can be found here and you can register on MyLACERS.
- Download a Retirement Decision Sheet here, and keep it handy to make your retirement decisions and elections.
- Visit our YouTube Channel at YouTube.com/lacersyoutube and watch the videos in the “Retirement Benefits – Single Topic Educational Videos” playlist. Don’t forget to have your Retirement Decision Sheet handy to mark your choices.
- Gather and scan all required documents to a safe location on your computer. A list of documents can be found here. This will streamline your experience when completing the retirement application in the online portal. Don’t own a scanner? Consider the Adobe Scan mobile app, learn more here.
Actions to Take Three (3) Months Before Retiring
- Check with any existing payroll deduction companies you do business with such as credit unions and/or employee organizations to see if those payroll deductions can be continued into retirement.
- Confirm you have all required documents scanned in a secure place and ready to submit as part of your online retirement application.
- Contact LACERS to set up an appointment to attend a Retirement Counseling webinar.
- Attend a Retirement Counseling webinar before starting your online application so that you can make sure you understand all of your elections.
Actions to Take Two (2) Months Before Retiring
- Review your Retirement Decision Sheet and use it to remind yourself of your retirement selections.
- Create an account on the online Retirement Application Portal and complete and submit your Application within the filing period 30-60 days before your retirement effective date.
You will receive an acknowledgement confirming receipt of your application, and you can also check the status of your application in the Retirement Application Portal. Throughout the retirement process, you may receive requests from LACERS for information and/or documents. Please respond to these requests in a timely fashion to avoid processing delays.